Friday, February 5, 2010

Nalbinding, and School, and Knitting 0_oh! MY!

Nalbinding, and School, and Knitting, 0_oh! MY!!! :D

A very buzzzy week indeed it has been. In between studying my breaks consist of doing something with fiber of some sort. In all this, decided to try to knit again and am pleasantly surprised I can!!! When I tried to knit years ago, was sooo hyper tense that the stitches would not come off of the knitting needles! :( So I concentrated on crochetting. There are so many nice knitting patterns that was really wanting to try it again. I learned Nalbinding to try to "go around" knitting, making items this way and alter the patterns a bit to use Nalbinding. Working the stitches are a joy and have picked up four different types of Nalbinding stitches and am looking forward to learn more.

While learning the ancient art of Nalbinding we have had some rather extreme weather here which put a real chill in the air. My Mom's hands really take a beating as far as getting very cold so I thought i would try to make a pair of fingerless gloves for her. Have always like them... Chitty Chitty Bang, Bang! the movie is were developed my interest & lotta like for them... "Granda" singin his "P.O.S.H." song! **grins** :D So whipped out a pair for her, no pattern, but just experimented. Got the idea after doing up my sons gloves. Well while working on hers and investigating Ravelry's patterns for fingerless gloves, saw many nice knitted ones and decided to give it a try.

In the mean time had sent away for some knitting needles as "EVENTUALLY" will make a Gnome... so like Gnomes! :P figured i would "practice" on the fingerless gloves! Because it had been so long since the initial learning to knit, started to look at basic knitting instructions and for a simple pattern that would get me reacquainted with casting on, the basic stitches, cables, binding off... etc. Found this site Knitting Help that has been a really good source. Holding the yarn was proving to be a real challenge for me. I had seen a remarkable video with a lady knitting really fast, which amazed me. Noticed that her technique was "different" from what could remember, holding the thread with my right hand. I just could not get a good rhythm going. In watching the tutorial videos, noticed that there was "Continental" or "German" style of knitting. Took to it like a duck to water, it felt more comfortable.

Soooo yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, later... got the fingerless gloves done and am "hooked" ;) eheeheeee on knitting! already have projects in line AND if don't have enough to do, joined the
Ravelympics! Am a proud member of Team uKNIT and will be participating in the Bobsled, Mitten Moguls and Sock Hockey events! lol! figured while taking a much needed break from my Basic Writing tourture, need to make it count! ahaahaaaa! [so not doing well in that class! :( ugggh!] English, especially grammar is NOT my forte. IT does not make sense to me, at all!!! well we will leave this subject and back to fiber!!! :D well almost, need to get back to homework for now!

soooooo_0 be back later to complete! :D





No comments:

Post a Comment